Sign up for PlantShare
As a member of PlantShare, you will be able to:
- Upload photos of plants to share with others
- Create checklists of plants you want to keep track of
- Publish the location of the plants you have seen on your own map
- Ask one of our expert botanists questions Sign Up
Ask the Botanist
Our ace botanists are here to help you identify wild New England plants and to answer questions about their ecology and conservation. When posting a question, please provide the location, habitat (e.g. river, mountain, woodland), and photographs of the plant.
Everyone can read the answers, but only logged-in users can ask questions. Log in to ask a question.
Recently answered questions
- What is this? Southborough, Massachusetts. April 2023
- Dear ejs50, good morning. At this point, I can't give you a confident answer. If I had images of the nodes (where the leaves attach to the stem) and closer images of the leaves to see the vein patterns, I might be able to give you an educated guess. Once it flowers, it will be much easier to identify. I'm sorry I can't assist you from the image you provided. Best wishes. (Monday, 1 May 2023)
- I think I found field Speedwell in the floodplain of a stream in Atlanta,GA. This website doesn't have any reports of it here so I wanted to make sure.
- Dear Kipplandscape, good morning. There are no images associated with your question. Without them, I can't assist you. If you are having difficulty uploading images, please feel free to attach them to an email and send them to email@example.com. I will try to do my best, but you are out of my region of expertise. Best wishes. (Monday, 1 May 2023)
- Dear botanists, I have been able to consistently identify most of the plants I find with the dichotomous keys on this site, except for one group in which I am hopeless: grass. I believe the grass depicted in the attached photos is Anthoxanthum nitens, but I would appreciate if you could confirm. Location: Warren, RI. Habitat: Saltmarsh (most specimens growing directly out of the water, it seemed). Thanks in advance, Tyler
- Dear Tyler, good morning. There are no images associated with your question. Without them, I can't assist you. If you are having difficulty uploading images, please feel free to attach them to an email and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Best wishes. (Monday, 1 May 2023)
More recently answered questions »